How to relieve inflammation of the legs veins?
06 nov 2022
How to relieve inflammation of the varicose veins?
Varicose veins in the legs for a long time (sometimes for many years) may not bother the patient regarding discomfort or other clinical symptoms. Therefore, one of the most common complications that makes the patient seek medical help is varicose veins inflammation, which is called "phlebitis" or "thrombophlebitis". The beginning of the term "thrombo" means the formation of thrombotic masses inside the vein, which causes concern for the patient (the consequences of this disease do not require further explanation), and "phlebitis" means inflammation of the surrounding tissues (skin and subcutaneous tissue), which begin to redden, hurt, swell. The above symptoms are signs of an active inflammatory process that requires specialized treatment.
But what can be done to relieve inflammation of the veins in the legs, if you are at home:
- Take an NSAID anti-inflammatory drug (Paracetamol, Ibuprofen or Dexalgin)
- Gently apply non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Nimid-gel or Diclofenac ointment) or heparin-containing ointments (Heparin ointment or Lyoton) topically to the area of inflammation.
- Bandage the leg with an elastic bandage (from the foot to the thigh) or put on special compression underwear if available (stockings)
Definitely, you should not delay the visit to the doctor and it is advisable to get a consultation with a vascular surgeon on the day of the onset of symptoms or the next day.
What absolutely NOT to do in order to relieve inflammation:
- Use of various compresses or ointments with dubious composition
- Warming of the area of inflammation
- Foot massage or area of inflammation
- Treatment with dietary supplements or traditional medicine methods
- Taking medication after the advice of friends or without a doctor's prescription
Such behavior and underestimation of the seriousness of the situation can lead to unpredictable consequences and serious complications. Therefore, the treatment of thrombophlebitis should be entrusted to a competent specialist, such as a vascular surgeon.
In 99% of situations, when patients came on time, thrombophlebitis can be treated conservatively (without surgery). For this, special anticoagulant medications are used (prescribed exclusively by a doctor), which quickly relieve inflammation and prevent the progression of thrombophlebitis. The dosage and form of administration (injections or tablets) are prescribed purely individually and require a clinical examination, anamnesis, and ultrasound examination of the veins of the lower extremities. A special compression hosiery is selected (the degree of compression, the type and shape of the hosiery are selected by the doctor after the examination). And also, recommendations are given on the care of the limb, lifestyle, diet and the date of the preventive examination is set.
Doctors of the Angiolife Vascular Center have been treating thrombophlebitis for more than 20 years in accordance with modern international recommendations. Therefore, if you have such a problem, we are waiting for a consultation, where we will provide qualified assistance.